I’m about to start my 2nd year of uni studying Geography & I’m finding it hard to comprehend that it was a whole year ago that I was a fresh faced fresher with all of my dignity in tact. For those of you embarking on your new life as a student, here’s a few pieces of unofficial advise that got me through my first year.
Being a student allows you to see-saw between being a fully fledged adult who pays bills and learns to use a washing machine, and a 6 year old who acts like an unsupervised child at a kids party. It’s an odd in-between which has the potential to send you completely barmy unless you embrace it.
Embrace missing lectures and spending the entire day eating party rings and watching Disney films but know that when deadlines come, you gotta get yo’ ass in gear. Embrace those hangovers and eating Domino’s at 4am, the unplanned nights out (which in my experience as a fresher, are most definitely the best) and embrace the fact that you’re new besties are only across the hallway (because believe me, come summer when you all go home, the things you will miss most about uni is seeing them every day).
A few other words of wisdom:
- Take a door stop with you. You aren’t going to make friends with your door closed.
- Jaegermeister is not your friend. It just makes you think that until you’re wide awake at 6am ready to run a marathon. Slow down on that stuff.
- Take a bottle opener. There’s nothing worse than getting all the beers in and realising nobody has a bottle opener so what follows is an awkward, often painful/dangerous half hour of trying to open the bottles using other utensils, table tops and god forbid..actual teeth. Urgh.
- Once your parents have helped you carry everything up the million flights of stairs (in my case) and made a half arsed attempt at small talk with your new flat mates/their parents, it is time for them to leave (maybe after a cuppa and a bite to eat) but don’t have them staying over ‘just in case’. It’s going to be hard and inevitably there will be lots of tears but they have to leave sometime so provide the loo roll and have a flat mate on stand by for a hug.
- 1 last thing – don’t put the milk in first when making a cup of tea, it will not go down well with new flat mates. My first year of uni was incredible and I am SO excited to start 2nd year! Embrace everything that comes your way!
Lots of love & good luck to anyone starting uni this month,
Eliza Days xxx